St. James Plaza is under development in the City of Alexandria. The project will provide 93 new affordable apartments in the second quarter of 2018.
About the Project
St. James Plaza is a new AHC development in the City of Alexandria’s Beauregard neighborhood. The project will transform property previously owned by the St. James United Methodist Church and the Bi-District Office of the Northern Virginia Methodist Church into 93 new affordable apartments adjacent to market-rate townhomes.
Proposed Project Details
- The apartments will be a mix of efficiencies, one-, two-, and three-bedroom units.
- Rents will range from 40% to 60% of the Area Median Income.
- Amenities will include underground parking, a fitness center, and a community room for residents.
- Apartments will feature Energy Star-certified kitchen appliances, high-efficiency, individually controlled HVAC systems, carpeted floors, and ceramic tile.
- The Alexandria Planning Commission held a public hearing on June 9, and the City Council public hearing approved the project on June 18.
- AHC began demolition and excavation in July after receiving approval and permits from the City of Alexandria.
- AHC began construction of the building in November 2017 after receiving the building permit from the City of Alexandria.
- AHC anticipates completing construction in the spring of 2018.
- June 2016 – Alexandria City Council hearing
- July 2016 - Demolition and excavation
- Nov. 2016 – Partial building permit issued
- January 2017 – Full building permit issued
- June 2018 – Construction complete
Market Rate Parcel
- AHC is under contract to sell the east side of the parcel to Craftmark Homes, a market-rate townhome developer with considerable experience in Alexandria.
- Craftmark is currently working with the City of Alexandria to receive the necessary approvals that will permit the development of approximately 31 market-rate townhomes.
- Alexandria’s Planning Commission approved the project on June 6, and the City Council will vote to approve on June 24.
- Townhome construction is anticipated to begin in mid 2018.
Community Outreach & Information
- 5/3/2016 – Community meeting announcement
- 5/19/2016 – Community meeting #2 announcement
- 5/20/2016 – Public Hearing notice
- Overall site plan rendering of affordable apartment building and townhomes
- Townhome Concept Plan Sketch
- Congressman Beyer Tours Affordable Housing Site in Alexandria, VA
- Innovative Partnership Creates Developable Land for Affordable Housing in Alexandria
5140 Fillmore Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22311