The Spire, 113 new affordable apartments in the City of Alexandria, began welcoming new families in late March 2021. The project, a partnership with the Episcopal Church of the Resurrection, is conveniently located near public transportation, the Alexandria campus of the Northern Virginia Community College, and primary commercial areas.
Apply Now to Live at The Spire!
- Click here to apply to live in The Spire.
- Call 844-202-8236 for more information.
- The apartments include a mix of one-two-, and three-bedroom units.
- Rents range from 30% to 60% of the Area Median Income. (Please note: Residents earning 30% to 40% of the Area Median Income must be referred to AHC by the City of Alexandria because there is a waiting list for these apartments.)
- Amenities include underground parking, a community room, exercise room, and a landscaped terrace for residents.
- Apartments feature Energy Star-certified kitchen appliances, high-efficiency, individually controlled HVAC systems, carpeted floors, and ceramic tile.
- Small pets are welcome.
About the Project
The Spire is a brand new affordable apartment community with 113 new homes in the City of Alexandria’s Beauregard neighborhood.
Seven years in the making, The Spire became a reality thanks to Episcopal Church of the Resurrection’s (ECR) mission-driven vision. By a nearly unanimous vote, the congregation voted to make a lasting difference to the community by transforming their two-acre plot of land into a new worship space and affordable housing through a partnership with AHC.
The Spire includes a mix of one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, including 12 fully accessible homes, that will serve households with incomes ranging from 30 to 60% AMI. It was designed to meet Universal Design standards and achieve EarthCraft Gold certification. Other amenities include a community room, exercise room, landscaped courtyard, and structured parking.
The $48.3 million affordable apartment development successfully competed for a variety of local, state and national funds, including $23 million in tax credit equity from an allocation by Virginia Housing (VHDA), a $9.9 million loan from the City of Alexandria, a $1.3 million loan from Virginia/National Housing Trust Funds, and a $500,000 loan from the Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta.
Other sources include a construction loan from Capital One, a $11.5 million first trust loan from Freddie Mac, and $500,000 from NeighborWorks America. The City of Alexandria also provided a rental assistance grant of $350,000 to make 12 apartments deeply affordable.
The Spire, designed by Cunningham-Quill and constructed by Harkins Builders, started welcoming families in March 2021.
Partners include Capital One Bank, City of Alexandria, Cunningham l Quill Architects; Episcopal Church of the Resurrection; Federal Home Loan Bank Atlanta; Freddie Mac; Harkins Builders; Hudson Housing Capital, Klein Hornig LLP; Land, Carroll & Blair; NeighborWorks America; Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development; Virginia Housing (VHDA); and Walter L. Phillips, Inc.
2280 North Beauregard Street, Alexandria, VA
- Celebrating the Grand Opening of The Spire, 2021 (22-minute video)
- AHC Inc., Episcopal Church of the Resurrection and City of Alexandria Break Ground on $48M Affordable Apartment Community in Alexandria, VA , 6/18/19
- AHC’s Latest Housing Project to Help Ease Alexandria’s Affordable Housing Crunch, Washington Business Journal, 3/29/18
- Church of the Resurrection Affordable Housing Project Approved, Alexandria Times, 1/25/18
- Affordable Housing Project Revitalizes Local Church, Alexandria Times, 11/16/17