Volunteers are the heartbeat of AHC’s educational initiatives and the key to our students’ success.
If you are interested in volunteering, please complete the volunteer application or email email@example.com.
Volunteers are critical to our students’ success. Whatever your experience or your time frame, we welcome your support!
Our year-round program provides a comprehensive support system from elementary school through high school and during the summer when low-income children are particularly susceptible to learning loss. AHC’s educational programs encourage academic excellence and personal growth in a nurturing environment. Because programs are located in the communities where families live, they are a consistent part of the children’s and their families’ lives.
Weekly volunteer opportunities
AHC provides education opportunities at seven community centers in Arlington. Click here for locations and volunteer schedules.
Work one-on-one or work with a small group of elementary-aged students (k-5th grade) and help youth complete homework, study for tests, and also build literacy and math skills. Volunteer one day a week for an hour between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm, Monday through Thursday.
Work one-on-one with middle and high school students (6th – 12th grade) and help teens complete homework, study for exams, and improve in challenging subject areas. Onsite staff members provide vital support through mentoring and coaching. Volunteers needed one hour once a week, from 6:00 to 8:00 PM, Monday through Thursday.
College and Career Readiness
Help our teens study for standardized tests, apply for financial aid and scholarships and write essays. Volunteers work one-on-one with a high school senior throughout the school year. Meeting times are flexible and arranged between volunteer and student.
Designed to prevent summer learning loss, this program provides both educational and fun activities for elementary children and teens. Volunteers help with outdoor and educational activities.
Volunteer Orientation Video
Check out our 2021 Volunteer Orientation Video (14 mins) here.
COVID safety precautions
AHC is planning to hold in-person education programs this school year because we believe in-person works best for most students. This summer, we measured elementary school age campers in sight words and math facts and found significant learning loss. After six weeks of in-person camp with fun, educational activities, 83% of the students saw improvement in sight words & math.
The health and safety of our students, volunteers, staff & everyone’s families are also critically important. AHC is paying close attention to CDC guidelines and Arlington Public School’s operations and will make changes to our programs if needed. At our centers, we have the following procedures:
- Volunteers & students over age 12 will be required to be vaccinated.
- Indoors, volunteers, students and staff will wear masks correctly at all times unless drinking or eating.
- Students will answer a health questionnaire before entering and will be asked to stay home if they have any COVID symptoms or have been exposed to COVID. Volunteers and staff will also stay home if they have symptoms or have been exposed.
- Staff will have students wash hands regularly. Tables and other surfaces will be cleaned frequently. Centers will be deep cleaned regularly.
- Centers have air purifiers.
One-time volunteer opportunities
We often need volunteers for just a few hours for special events or annual activities, including distributing backpacks to elementary students in the fall, helping prepare or serve Thanksgiving dinners for residents, and more. Current one-time volunteer opportunities.
Career Development Activities
We are recruiting Career Development volunteers to help our middle & high school students explore career options. We are planning several one-time events like career panels. Sign up or learn more here.
- AHC Volunteer Resources and Training Materials
- All of our graduating seniors are going to college!
- Read our latest Report Card with stories about students’ success and volunteer activities.
- Five convenient community center locations in Arlington, VA
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
See for yourself how volunteers are making a difference.
For more information or to volunteer, please email email@example.com or call 703-486-0626. Or fill out the form below: